Mary McDowell Friends School is a K-12 college preparatory program dedicated to the success of students with learning disabilities. Grounded in the Quaker values of equality, integrity, and social responsibility, we cultivate a diverse community in which each student can reach her/his/their full potential. Our specialized teaching methodologies and challenging curricula empower students to become academic achievers, creative thinkers, and contributing members of a global society.
Learning: Students with learning disabilities can learn and thrive within a supportive environment coupled with a challenging curriculum, preparing students for college and life.
Quaker Values: MMFS is guided by the Quaker testimonies of service, peace, integrity, community, equality and simplicity.
Diversity: MMFS strives to be an inclusive, diverse community of educators, staff, students and families.
Excellence: MMFS pursues excellence at every level.
- Students with learning disabilities are intelligent.
- Learning disabilities are one aspect of a person, not the defining characteristic.
- Special education is quality education.
- Learning goes beyond mastery of content and skills; it includes creative thinking, questioning, discovery and further research to formulate well thought out opinions and perspectives on the world.
- MMFS is at the forefront of LD education.
- MMFS faculty and staff are experts in their fields.
- MMFS offers a comprehensive educational program that includes academics, arts, athletics, travel, and social responsibility.
- MMFS’s curriculum is based on well researched and proven methodologies.
- MMFS’s differentiated approaches to learning address each student’s learning style, strengths and struggles.
- MMFS teaches students to understand their learning needs so that they can advocate for themselves.
- MMFS students who are ready for mainstream schools will be transitioned to mainstream schools.
- The MMFS community embraces each individual while fostering cooperation and collaboration amongst students, families, staff, and educators.
- The Quaker testimonies provide an essential foundation for all MMFS does.